Training Solutions Institute
Training Solutions Institute provides skills enhancement and workforce development opportunities for companies and individuals in the Sioux Falls, SD region.
Training is offered by departments including:
- Computer Information Technology
- Construction & Transportation
- Corporate and Small Business
- Health Care
- Manufacturing & Industrial
On-going programs such as Welding, Commercial Driving, Certified Nurse’s Assistant (CNA), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and Floral Design are offered as alternative educational solutions for individuals interested in these career options.
Employers and employees are supported through training programs in computer applications, leadership and supervision, industrial safety, manufacturing technology and communication. Training programs are also offered on a customized basis with content, duration and location being tailored to the needs of the company or organization.
Online training is offered in numerous fields ranging from construction to manufacturing to the health care industry. Multiple formats and delivery methods are used to meet the diverse needs of the region’s workforce. In addition, an ACT-approved testing center offers entrance testing and certification opportunities for those wishing to obtain credentials for skills they possess.
Training Solutions Institute works with many companies in the region to provide training and to enhance workforce development efforts. Training Solutions Institute has the resources and capabilities to develop and deliver training that will increase productivity and improve employee satisfaction.
For more information, visit www.trainingsolutionsinstitute.com or call 605.367.7619.
Located in the Mickelson Center, the Southeast Tech Bookstore carries all required class materials and study supplies as well as clothing, gift items and snacks.
- Eligibility: Students who have completed all of the required financial aid paperwork, and will receive their financial aid on or before the financial aid disbursement day, will be eligible to use the amount of financial aid that exceeds their tuition and fees total to charge the cost of textbooks and course required supplies to a student account at the Southeast Tech Bookstore. The individual students’ charge limit will not exceed the amount of excess financial aid available.
- Charge Period: Bookstore charge accounts will be available beginning one week before the start of each semester and the ability to charge will continue until the end of the course add period.
- Returns: Returns to a student charge account will be allowed until the end of the drop period and refunds will be issued from the Business Office student account during the regular financial aid disbursement. Charged items will be returned according to established Southeast Tech Bookstore guidelines for original condition of the item to be returned, as long as the return is within the Charge Period.
- Charge Account Payment Due Dates: Student charge balances and available charge limits may be updated daily between the Bookstore and the Business Office. All Bookstore charges will be automatically deducted from the excess financial aid balance prior to the disbursement of financial aid. Changes in your student schedule may affect the Bookstore charge account limit. Reducing the number of credits may reduce the amount of financial aid available. If the Bookstore charge balance exceeds the amount of financial aid available, the amount of the over-charge is due in the Business Office on fee payment day. If a student adds or drops courses during the first two weeks of classes, it is the student’s responsibility to verify that there are enough funds to cover the student’s account balance.
- Complete Withdrawal: Students who withdraw completely prior to financial aid disbursement will be subject to the collection policy of the Business Office. Account balances will be due immediately and subject to referral to a collection agency.
Students who do not meet the above requirements for the textbook charge program may purchase their textbooks from the Bookstore using cash, personal check, Visa, Discover or Mastercard.
Students who plan to charge their books to a third party agency or trust account must have written authorization on file (i.e. Vocational Rehabilitation, Veteran’s Affairs, WIA, BIA, SWMNPIC, Sioux Falls Housing, etc.)
Students should have a copy of their class schedule available when purchasing textbooks. Log on to stinet.southeasttech.edu to print a schedule.
Students who use a parent’s check to pay for purchases should wait until the time of purchase, if possible, to complete the check.
Book/Required Supply Returns
- Textbooks may be returned as follows:
Fall and Spring Semesters: During the first week of classes with receipt. During the second week of classes with receipt AND proof of drop.
Interim/Summer Semesters: During the first three days of class with receipt.
- Students need an original bookstore receipt to return items to the bookstore. Returns without a receipt will not be accepted.
- Textbook information is available prior to the start of each semester at bookstore.southeasttech.com.
- Textbooks need to be returned in original condition.
- Due to the complex nature of kits, which may contain certain types of material that are sterile and/or subject to electrostatic discharge, kits that have been opened are non-refundable.
- Software, medical supplies and special orders are non-refundable.
- Refunds will be paid by check which can be mailed or picked up in the bookstore. Books charged against a credit card or a third party account will be credited back to the credit card or the agency account.
- The Bookstore offers textbook buyback during the week of end of term finals for each semester. Textbooks needed for future terms may be purchased by the Bookstore for 50% of the new retail price. Other books may be purchased by Nebraska Book Company for the wholesale price determined by NBC.
- Students wishing to return books after the allotted return period may sell their textbooks back to our wholesale textbook provider for the guide price determined by Nebraska Book Company.
- Books with water stains will not be accepted at buyback. Books must have all pages intact and be in a resalable condition. Books purchased with software or other materials should be sold at buyback with those materials in usable condition.
- Due to new editions, textbook changes or other conditions beyond the Bookstore’s control, some books may not be eligible for buyback.
All general merchandise items are returnable for a full refund within 30 days from the date of purchase. A receipt is necessary to receive a refund. The Bookstore is unable to accept items that are not in original condition for returns - i.e. missing tags, opened packaging, clothing that has been worn or washed.
Monday – Thursday, 7:30am–5:00pm
The bookstore is closed on days that the Southeast Tech campus is closed. We recommend that you call ahead on days that the campus is listed as closed.
Please note: During the beginning of the semester, we suggest you stop in or use the website for textbook information. When there are lines at the checkouts, we are unable to take immediate requests for textbook information.
Southeast Tech Library Resource Center
Located in Mickelson Center as part of the Student Success Center, the Southeast Tech Library is available for classroom research and study. There are three computers available for student use.
Monday – Thursday, 7:30am–6:00pm*
*Hours are adjusted during the summer and when classes are not in session. Library hours are the same as the Student Success Center.
The Southeast Tech Library Resource Center collection places emphasis not only on program related materials but also supports recreational reading, an OverDrive Digital Library, current periodicals, and online databases. The library supports the “Technology Resources Policy” and any consequences resulting from infractions of the policy as it relates to the library computers.
Regular library and expanded reference services are offered through an affiliation with the South Dakota Library Network (SDLN). This statewide network links Southeast Tech with all other member colleges, universities and public libraries in the state and across the nation.
Students may use their Southeast Tech identification card to check out materials from the University of Sioux Falls, Augustana College, Wegner Health Science Information Center, Avera McKennan Hospital Library, North American Baptist Seminary, and all Siouxland Public Libraries.
Southeast Tech operates a child care facility located on campus. The Scarbrough Center (SC) is a state-licensed child care facility able to care for 84 children between the ages of 4 weeks to 8 years. This quality care is available at a reasonable fee and promotes the intellectual, social, emotional, and physical development of the child. Activities are based on the child’s interests and development level. The SC is staffed with well-educated and trained individuals that follow developmentally appropriate practice. All staff have been cleared through various agencies before they are employed at the SC. The SC also contracts with the Sioux Falls School District’s Child Nutrition Program to provide nutritional snacks and meals.
The SC was originally built in 1991, but during the summer of 2009 it was completely remodeled and currently incorporates an indoor environment that inspires all who enter. Both children and adults enjoy the nature inspired beauty within and also notice the well-organized areas and the furnishings that define the space in each classroom. Each area includes authentic items, and since literacy is a strong component of our program, books are available in each area specific to that part of the classroom. The center also believes in child process creations and displays these in a way that shows respect for their work.
Not only is the SC’s indoor environment inspiring, but we continue this environment outside with our Outdoor Nature Playground. Children have daily access to this fenced-in playground which continues the same curriculum areas outside as indoors: Large Motor, Sand, Water Play, Building, Music (including a large stage), Books, and of course, a Garden. Even our youngest children have their own toddler playground where they can experience the outdoors in a safe but enjoyable manner. Currently, the SC is the only Certified Nature Explore Classroom in South Dakota. This honor recognizes SC’s commitment to connecting children with nature. A tour of this inspiring indoor environment and outdoor nature playground is always encouraged before parents make any decisions.
The Scarbrough Center is open for child care from 7:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday when classes are in session. Enrollment is limited to Southeast Tech students and Southeast Tech and Sioux Falls School District employees. For information regarding fees and openings or to set up a tour, contact the Scarbrough Center at 605.367.8444.
Adult Education and Literacy/Hovland Learning Center/GED
The Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) program at Southeast Tech’s Hovland Learning Center offers General Educational Development (GED) and English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction as well as basic skill development in math, reading, and writing to help students prepare for employment or post-secondary education. The AEL program offers structured, teacher directed classes as well as an individualized, independent study program. Eligible students must be at least 16 years old and beyond compulsory attendance age.
GED participants must make an appointment to attend a scheduled orientation session. Students wishing to enroll in ESL or basic skill development classes must make an appointment for registration. Official GED tests are offered on site.
Information regarding the Adult Education and Literacy program can be obtained from a counselor, instructor, or staff member at the Hovland Learning Center by calling 605.367.7997.