Dec 04, 2020
2020-2021 Academic Catalog
Office Assistant (Online), Diploma
Upon completion of a Diploma in Office Assistant a student will be able to:
Science & Technology
- Ability to successfully use the Microsoft Office Suite software to produce business documents.
- Ability to utilize common office equipment, such as copiers, fax machines, transcribers, printers and shredders with a brief “first-time training” period.
- Ability to properly file folders and documents in electronic or manual filing systems.
- Ability to demonstrate basic 10-key calculator skills in solving business math problems.
- Ability to demonstrate proper phone technique and etiquette in business calls.
- Ability to demonstrate proper keyboarding skills in performing computer work.
- Ability to demonstrate appropriate English usage and grammar skills including punctuation, subject/verb agreement and spelling.
- Ability to utilize proper format for business letters, reports, memos and typical office documents.
Problem Solving/Critical Thinking
- Uses references manuals (books or online) to determine appropriate formatting, spelling and grammar usage.
- Demonstrates sound formatting judgment in the layout of documents that are traditional or new.
- Ability to analyze record information using indexing and alphabetizing rules.
- Ability to use the HELP menu in Microsoft Office Suite software to find answers to software problems.
- Demonstrates judgment in managing daily tasks by prioritizing their importance.
- Acts ethically and maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Attends work regularly, on time, and appropriately uses personal and sick days.
- Completes assigned work on time and accurately.
- Communicates questions and problems to immediate supervisor.
- Ability to adapt to organizational change and climate.
- Participates in professional development opportunities in the changing workplace.
- Demonstrates understanding of business etiquette, interpersonal communications and customer service skills, and continues to develop these on an on-going basis.
- Ability to know when and in what situation you should communicate via e-mail, memo, letter, report, instant messaging or phone.
- Demonstrates appropriate English usage and grammar skills including punctuation, subject/verb agreement and spelling.
- Uses appropriate verbal and non-verbal skills in the speaking and listening modes of communication.
- Applies customer service and interpersonal communication skills in communications with internal and external customers.
- Ability to write basic business letters to achieve communication goals.