Upon completion of an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Land Surveying Science Technology, a student will be able to:
Science and Technology
- Understand the science of surveying involving the use of basic surveying instruments, robotic and GNSS instruments, the fundamentals surveying, and the collection of survey data.
- Perform routine calculations in geodesy, projections, astronomic surveys, photogrammetry and apply referenced technical information to geodetic positions and calculations.Prepare plats, ALTA/ACSM maps, legal survey drawings and legal documents for boundaries.
- Develop highway plans by interpreting and applying referenced technical information, perform routine highway calculations, a fundamental knowledge of highway design and specifications, and applying current techniques and procedures in construction staking.
- Create basic site-plans, maps (topography, grading, subdivision), survey plats, detailed utility drawings, highway (plan/profile & corridor), and dynamic 3-D drawings through the use of computer-aided-drafting.
- Understand boundary law, land descriptions and boundary record research.
Problem Solving / Critical Thinking
- Utilize time management skills to complete work as scheduled.
- Locate, understand, and interpret information found in plans, blueprints, manuals, graphs, and schedules.
- Select and use applicable and current approaches and tools in solving a wide variety of problems (scientific, mathematical, social, and personal).
- Identify a problem and implement a response.
- Demonstrate an awareness of various details that should be carefully observed while completing any field inspection.
- Exhibit strong work ethic, attendance, self-esteem, integrity, honesty, sociability, and interpersonal skills.
- Represent oneself in a positive and professional manner when communicating with architects, engineers, surveys, construction personnel and clients.
- Establish an attitude to become a lifelong learner and to seek advanced information in the field of CAD drawing, surveyors, civil engineering technology and to keep current through on-line resources and taking state-of-the-art training.
- Maintain memberships in professional organizations.
- Communicate verbally in a clear and concise manner with peers, clients and management.
- Prepare technical reports, effective interoffice and business correspondence, construction specifications and other contract documents.